Karen and this is My diary.
CommissionsI don't have a lot of time to do commissions right now, what with doing a daily comic. I also find that a lot of commissions require much more work than I expected when I first started doing them.
You might think that someone looking at Planet Karen would think "that looks like someone who can draw cute goth girls. I'll get her to draw me a cute goth girl."
In fact, they seem to think "I'll get her to draw me an elephant on a bicycle."
Anyway, despite the fact that I somehow manage to motivate myself to produce a page of comic art almost every day, I'm basically lazy, so I need a bit of motivation, and by "motivation" I mean "money", and by "a bit" I mean "a lot".
The original rates I set for commissions worked out, one way or another, to be somewhere below the minimum wage, and the result is that they tended to get low priority, and most didn't get done at all. This isn't fair on the people who wanted to commission me, who might well have been prepared to pay more than I was asking, who didn't get their pictures because I wasn't motivated to work for the amount I was charging them.
It's hard to be specific, because the time taken on different jobs can vary a lot, but here's some guidelines:
1) Easy: You want a picture of something I do regularly, such as a character from Planet Karen. From £20/$40
2) Straightforward: Cute goth girls. Or female characters generally in a style that would not look out of place in Planet Karen. Example: A cute girl in a Wolverine costume. From £40/$80.
3) Medium: Something straightforward that's not too far off the kind of stuff I usually do, or something for which there is plenty of reference easily available, or for which you have supplied reference or detailed description. Example: Your game character. £50/$100
4) Expensive: Something I'm going to have to research before I can work out how to draw it. Something not in my regular style. Example: I can't think of one right now. From £75/$150
5) Dollar signs in the eyes: You want me to design a whole new character from scratch in a style different from my usual, that I'm going to have to spend a lot of time researching. Example: Elephant on a bicycle. From £100/$200
That's for a basic black & white image of a single figure. And where it says "from", read "probably more than". I'll mail you the original for the cost of postage, but any other additional things such as colour (only available on the computer version because I suck at any type of colouring that doesn't come with an "undo" button), multiple characters, specific backgrounds, etc. will cost extra, proportional to the level setting.